LC20160720F0286 copy

MALTA.Valletta.07/2016. St John’s Co-Cathedral. Apart from its place among the most magnificent Baroque churches in the world, St John’s Co-Cathedral is also an architectural metaphor for the Order of the Knights of St John, who built it between 1573 and 1578. The simple post-siege façade reflects the Knights’ military pragmatism, whilst the gilded vaults, painted ceilings, polychrome marble floors and general Baroque exuberance of the lavish interior reveal the sophistication, power and wealth of the Order.